Convert Anything To ISO
I’ve written a few articles about converting files from one format to another. For future reference, here’s a list of free tools for converting from various proprietary disk image formats to the universally supported ISO format. Most of these converters are for Windows, though some also have versions for Linux.
Converting BIN to ISO
BIN is a very popular disk image format that stores the CD/DVD image in pure, raw form. Typically the .bin is accompanied by a .cue file – you will need both of them to convert the .bin to .iso. You can use one of these free converters :
- CDBurnerXP, a very good CD/DVD burning application with lots of additional features.
- BIN2ISO, a simple no-frills bin-to-iso converter.
- BIN to ISO Converter, an old – no, ancient – converter from the days of Win2K.
Converting IMG to ISO
I’ve looked far and wide but couldn’t find any .img to .iso converters that would be truly freeware. So you’ll have to settle for using a shareware application to convert this format to ISO. Either of these will work : WinISO or UltraISO.
Converting DMG to ISO
DMG files are basically “ISO for Macs”, a different way to store disk images because OS X just Thinks Different™. How to convert DMG to ISO :
- dmg2iso, an old command-line utility (freeware). Here’s the command syntax :
dmg2iso file.daa file.iso
- IsoBuster, shareware. You can open a DMG file using this program and then use the Extract command (right click) to get the contents as ISO.
- If you’re on a Mac, use Disk Utility or hdiutil:
hdiutil convert /path/to/filename.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/savefile.iso
Converting UIF to ISO
UIF (a.k.a Universal Image Format) is a propiertary format used by MagicISO. I’ve already written about converting UIF to ISO before, so check out this post : UIF To ISO Converter.
Converting NRG to ISO
NRG files are another proprietary CD/DVD image format used by the Nero Burning ROM software. You can download a free trial of Nero and use that to convert NRG to ISO, or use one of the freeware utilities listed below :
- CDBurnerXP, a disk-burning app with a multitude of additional functions, .nrg to .iso conversion included.
- NRG2ISO – a popular tool, but doesn’t support all NRG files.
- nrg4iso – a more versatile and up-to-date NRG converter.
Converting DAA to ISO
Converting MDF to ISO
MDF is yet another proprietary format, used by the Alcohol 120% disc emulator/burner (shareware). Notable for the fact that most of the copy-protection info can be correctly saved when ripping a disc in this format. You can convert MDF files to ISO with mdf2iso (might be a bit tricky) or the Iso Analyzer Tool. Both tools have versions available for pretty much any popular operating system.Related posts :