Deframe is a Greasemonkey script that can remove frames and toolbars from (almost) any website. For example, it can remove the StumbleUpon toolbar that’s displayed on all su.pr links, get rid of the Ow.ly bar, bust the frames that some link sharing sites use on outgoing links, and so on. Deframe supports most frame-based websites and toolbars out of the box.
This userscript is compatible both with Greasemonkey/Firefox and Opera.
For Firefox :
- Get Greasemonkey.
- Install Deframe.
- Add the sites you want to use it with to the “Included Pages” list in Greasemonkey. To access this list, right-click the GM icon, click Manage User Scripts… and select Deframe from the script listing.
For Opera :
- Download deframe.user.js and place it in that directory.
- Open deframe.user.js in a text editor, e.g. Notepad.
- Add a new include rule for each site that you want to use the script with. Here are a few examples :
// @include http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/* // @include http://ow.ly/* // @include http://www.linkive.com/home/browser/*
- Save and close the file. Opera will automatically load and execute it the next time you navigate to a new page.
How It Works
Most other frame-busting and toolbar-killing scripts rely on site-specific algorithms. They’re easy to write, but inflexible and easily broken by small changes in the site’s design or layout. The only way to adapt them to other sites/toolbars is to manually edit the source code.
Deframe is different – instead of a hard-coded list or per-site algorithms, it uses a very simple yet effective heuristic to identify the frame that’s most likely to contain the actual content of the page. Here’s the algorithm in a nutshell : find the biggest visible frame that contains a page from a different domain. Then redirect the browser to the frame’s source URL.
Despite the apparent simplicity, this heuristic actually works very well. It correctly detected the content frame on all the social bookmarking links and assorted other sites that I threw at it. If you do find a site that it doesn’t work with, feel free to let me know by leaving a comment below.Related posts :