Admin Menu Editor For WordPress

Admin Menu Editor is a WordPress plugin that will let you manually edit the Dashboard menu. You can reorder the menus, show/hide specific items, change access rights, and more.

Features

• Sort menu items any way you want by simple drag & drop.
  • Move a menu item to a different submenu via cut & paste.
  • Edit any existing menu – change the title, access rights, menu icon and so on. Note that in the free version you can’t relax menu permissions – i.e. give access rights to a role that originally didn’t have them – but you can change them to be more restrictive.
  • Hide/show any menu or menu item. A hidden menu is invisible to all users, including administrators.
  • Create custom menus that point to any part of the Dashboard. For example, you could create a new menu leading directly to the “Pending comments” page.

Here’s a screenshot :

Admin Menu Editor screenshot

This plugin also has a Pro version that offers a bunch of extra features.

Download

admin-menu-editor.zip

The latest version of the plugin is always available on WordPress.org.

Requirements :

• WordPress 3.0 or later
  • PHP 5.2 or later

Known Issues

The basic idea for the plugin was suggested by several commenters way back in October. However, the internal menu system that WordPress uses is obscure and unsuitable for direct manipulation, so I spent quite a while inventing workarounds. And even after a few weeks of pondering, there are some things I haven’t quite fixed.

• If you delete any of the default menus they will reappear after saving. This is not a bug, it’s a feature ;)
  • As I mentioned before, the access rights required for using a particular menu item can’t be lowered, but can be made more strict. This has been fixed in the Pro version.
  • Plugin menus that are moved to a different submenu will not work unless you put the full page URL in the “URL” field. This is because WP “ties” the menu item to it’s parent menu and won’t recognize it in a different submenu.
Related posts :

487 Responses to “Admin Menu Editor For WordPress”

1. Heitor says:

Hello,

The preivous developer in my site use your plugin, and remove the Privacy tab in Settings. How can I return it?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Jānis Elsts says:

WordPress doesn’t have a “Privacy” menu item by default, so I assume it was added by another plugin. Depending on which version of Admin Menu Editor you’re using, you can restore the menu like this:

Free version:
    Go to Settings -> Menu Editor, select “Settings”, then “Privacy”. Click the down-arrow to expand menu settings, find the “Required capability” field and click the pencil icon to the right of the field to reset it back to the default permissions. Save changes.

Pro version:
    Go to Settings -> Menu Editor, click on “Administrator”, click the “Settings” item and check the box next to “Privacy”. Then click “Save Changes”.

If the Settings -> Menu Editor item doesn’t show up, chances are it was also hidden by the previous developer. In that case, you’ll have to ask them to restore it. The only other way to get it back would be to deactivate/uninstall the menu editor plugin.

3. Dee says:

Which tables does this alter in the database? I’m deactivating the plugin but the changes aren’t being reflected in what’s visible in the relative sites, so I feel like I need to delete its traces in the db too.. can you point me in the direction of instructions to do that?

thanks

4. Jānis Elsts says:

In this case, deleting the plugin’s database entries probably won’t help. The plugin doesn’t make any permanent changes to the admin men, so deactivating it would have already fixed any problems it may have caused. Any remaining changes were probably made by other plugins.

But if you want to try it anyway, plugin settings are stored in the wp_options table. Specifically, the “ws_menu_editor” entry. On Multisite there can also be similar entries in the wp_sitemeta table (it depends on configuration) .

5. Tina says:

I’m the only person that has access to my website. My menu and content slider disappeared less than a month of going live. I think it’s a broken plugin but the web developer says it isn’t. How do I check the plugins?
    Regards

6. Jānis Elsts says:

Try deactivating plugins one by one. If/when the menu re-appears, the last plugin you deactivated will be related to the problem.

7. […] Admin Menu Editor For WordPress | W-Shadow.com – […]