Free RAR Extractor List

What’s with all the people asking how to open RAR files? Sure, RAR is a very good archiver offering nice file compression ratio; it’s actually the archiver I use and there are probably several .rar files to be found even on this site. But the real popularity of .rar files probably comes from BitTorrent. Many torrents are compressed with WinRar, so you get people asking for a RAR extractor.

It might seem like an obvious solution to just download the original WinRar software, but RAR is shareware and not everyone can endure the nag-screens or buy the full version. So today I’ll tell you how to open RAR files using only free software – no matter what your operating system is.

RAR Extractor For Windows

My freeware .rar extractor of choice is certainly 7-zip (download page). Once you install it, you can simply right-click a RAR file and choose 7-zip -> Extract here to extract it. 7-zip also handles multi-volume (“spanned”) archives – just make sure you click the first volume when telling it to extract. 7-zip is completely free – in fact, it’s open source.

RAR Extractor For Linux

There’s a good tutorial describing in detail how to install and use the unrar command on various versions of UNIX-based operating systems – Open rar file or Extract rar files under Linux or UNIX. I’ve heard there’s also a Linux version of 7-zip that you could use for opening .rar files – check their site.

… And For Mac

UnRarX is what Mac OS users can employ to open RAR files. Not only a .rar extractor, UnRarX can also restore corrupted and missing archives.

In conclusion

So there you have it – RAR extractors for every popular operating system. Feel free to send the whining BitTorrent junkies to this page if someone asks “how do i open this file!??one!?” again ;)

Related posts :

79 Responses to “Free RAR Extractor List”

1. jay says:

its me again…I forgot to tell an important thing…the RaR file is 726,514 KB….after it was extracted…it is only 726,513….the remaining 1 KB is a text document that says

“Hello,

This video is password protected to stop automated leeching and detection.

To get your password, Please visit: http://www.YayMovies.com

We apologize for the inconvenience.

———

Note: The password is case sensitive. So please enter is exactly as it is displayed.

Have a nice day :)”

Maybe that’s the reason why I can’t play the file even though it was already extracted…But when I visited the website the claim the password…it says ” sorry there is no survey available in your country (philippines)…..
    I am so depressed….but intead of continuously depressing myself I chose to download a new movie…..BUT…it happened again…huhu….I really wan’t to cry…

what will I do?? is there any possible solution for me to claim the password or to play the file without a password??

How will I know if a torrent file (Rar) is password protected…I really want to avoid this kind of files….by the way the torrent is from

2. White Shadow says:

I think the “visit my site to get a password” thing is a scam. Most likely the file you extracted contains nothing but random garbage data, with no movie to be had.

3. jay says:

ahhh…ok…do you know any website where I can download torrent movies??without any passwords…

4. White Shadow says:

You could try an aggregator site like Torrentz.com. To avoid passworded files, read other users’ comments before downloading.

5. Lucia7 says:

This was sooooo helpful! And your explanations made it so easy for me to extract this awsome training material I found online. I had no idea whatsoever about .rar type files but your explanations made it so simple. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

6. Bob says:

try http://www.openrarfile.com

online tool, as long as your file isn’t too big…works pretty well

7. kesha says:

wat is wrong?? i am downloading a mivie..n they say that my file is corrupt…

8. Tonya Henson says:

You can also go to open zip file to open your zip files easily online. Hope this is a big help.

9. Bablet says:

I still need help. When I download a software it doesnt work for some reason. When I try online I have to buy it. Please help!

-Bablet(who thanks you very much)

10. White Shadow says:

The post mentions several programs; which one did you download?

11. dipto says:

Thanx. Its really helpful.

12. Shayari says:

I was always facing problem to open a .rar file . Window was showing an error “window cannot open this file ” .Now my problem hasbeen solved .Thank’s for this tip

13. himaja says:

i hav downloaded movies from torrents.com .its asking password to open it….wat is d password.wer can i dwnload movies with out any passwords…..

14. Mastiya says:

I used Window’s and Linux version of RAR, first time I heard about MAC compatible rar.

I am planning to switch on MACbook Pro, this page is helpful for me.

15. olivia wilde says:

I still get many people asking me how to unzip or unrar files! Thanks for this list of free extractors :)

16. laokboke says:

i love your plugin very much,and i installed Link Cloaking Plugin in my blog,it works very well with apache server,recently i want to transfer my blog to another vps which comes with nigix,plugin does not work completely,can you tell me how to fix it?
    Thank you.

17. Methods to Move Data from Outlook 2011 to Windows Outlook:
    . Though it may seem like what we do online is private, there are actually many ways in which we lose privacy online.
    In extreme cases the Java freeze-ups error
    requires full uninstall and re-install of the plugin.

18. wonderful says:

This is the right blog for anybody who really wants to understand
    this topic. You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not
    that I personally would want to…HaHa). You definitely put
    a fresh spin on a subject that’s been discussed for many years. Great stuff, just wonderful!