Automatically Restart Crashed Or Hanged Applications
Don’t you hate it when programs hang or crash? I find it especially annoying when a background application like an IM client or a bandwidth monitor silently crashes – sometimes I only notice the problem hours later when I’ve already missed a bunch of messages. I’m sure you’ve encountered a few “Not responding” errors and some irritatingly crash-prone applications yourself.
If you have an unstable program that you absolutely need to run at all times, but don’t want to waste your time monitoring and manually restarting it every time it croaks, I might have something interesting for you.
Restart on Crash is an monitoring tool that will watch the applications that you specify and automatically relaunch any program that hangs or crashes. You can add any number of applications to monitor, enable/disable them individually and edit the command line that will be used to restart an application.
Restart on Crash doesn’t require installation and stores all it’s configuration data in a “settings.ini” file in the program’s folder, so it’s portable. It should be compatible with most NT-based Windows versions.
Download Restart on Crash (1.4 MB)
Screenshots & Documentation
- To add a new application to monitor, click the “Add” button or press the Ins key.
- To delete on or more applications from the list, select them and click “Delete” or press Del.
- To edit the per-application configuration, double-click the corresponding row. This will open the editing dialog (see below).
- You can also access the RoC configuration by clicking “Settings” and view the activity log by clicking “Show Log”. The log contains information about crashed/hanged applications, executed commands, and so on.
Well, this one should be pretty self-explanatory 🙂 One detail to keep in mind is that enabling the “It isn’t running” option will make Restart On Crash treat the application as if it has crashed even if you have purposefully it closed it. You can get around this by disabling the monitoring of the application before you close it.
“Grace period” is how long Restart on Crash will wait before trying to terminate/restart an application that it has just terminated/restarted. This is intended to prevent a scenario where RoC kills a hanged program, restarts it, decides it has hanged again (e.g. if the program is non-responsive while starting up) and wrongfully terminates it again.
- If you configure RoC to automatically kill a hanged application, it will terminate all instances of that application when doing so. This may be fixed eventually.
- The “execute a command” feature can now launch shortcuts (.lnk files). Potentially, it can now run almost any type of file as long as file associations are set up correctly.
- Improved “application is not responding” detection.
- Added a “Clear Log” button to the Log window.
- Added a “Restart Now” option to the application pop-up menu. It restarts the selected application immediately without waiting for the grace period to expire.
RoC is just a normal application, not a service or anything like that. I believe it would be automatically closed when the user that started it logs out.
this is a decent app, I like it, my application is slow and it looks like it has crashed, but it comes back a few seconds later, it’s leading to a ton of entrys into the log, it ends up using a lot of memory after being left on a while, can you add a limit or something to the log so it doesn’t end up using gigabytes of memory ?
When I add paramaters to the command line, the target application is not started and the RoC says it is crashed. Could you check that please ?
I can’t check that without having access to the specific application and the command, but I would recommend making sure that the command is formatted correctly. In particular, if there are any spaces in the application path, it usually has to be in
"c:\path\with some spaces\app.exe".
Also, if you haven’t tried it already, please try running the command manually (e.g. in Powershell) and see if any errors show up.
[…] stáhnout Restart On Crash do počítače, přihlaste se do něj oficiální webové stránky a klikněte na odkaz Stáhněte si Reboot on Fail. Po dokončení stahování extrahujte obsah do […]
[…] biste preuzeli Restart On Crash na svoje računalo, prijavite se službena stranica i kliknite na vezu Preuzmite Restart on Fail. Kada preuzimanje završi, izdvojite sadržaj u bilo […]
[…] at downloade Restart On Crash til din computer skal du logge ind på den officiel hjemmeside og klik på linket Download Genstart ved fejl. Når overførslen er færdig, skal du udpakke […]
[…] želite v računalnik prenesti Restart On Crash, se vanj prijavite uradna spletna stran in kliknite povezavo Prenesite Reboot on Fail. Ko je prenos končan, ekstrahirajte vsebino v katero […]
[…] Restart On Crash allalaadimiseks arvutisse logige sisse ametlik koduleht ja klõpsake linki Laadige alla Taaskäivitamine ebaõnnestumise korral. Kui allalaadimine on […]
[…] datorā lejupielādētu programmu Restart On Crash, piesakieties tajā oficiālā mājas lapa un noklikšķiniet uz saites Lejupielādējiet Reboot, ja neizdodas. Kad lejupielāde ir pabeigta, […]
[…] Restart On Crash 下载到您的计算机，请登录 官方网站 然后点击链接 下载失败重启. 下载完成后，将内容解压到任意文件夹 在 zip […]
[…] Sie sich an, um Restart On Crash auf Ihren Computer herunterzuladen offizielle Website und klicken Sie auf den Link Laden Sie Reboot on Fail herunter. Wenn der Download abgeschlossen […]