Humans Are a Minority On The Internet
This is not about dolphins, monkeys, cats or dogs. It’s not even about all the infrastructure that makes up the Internet – routers, servers, communication lines. This is just an unusual observation made by checking some publicly available statistics.
Consider this :
- The average Internet user sends 4.9 emails every day. This is the global aggregate; the actual amount of email communication will obviously vary between various countries, social groups and financial status and age of the person.
- There are 95.7 billion emails sent every day.
- This means there are about 19.5 billion users sending email daily (just divide the two numbers).
- The total amount of people that have access to Internet is 1,173,109,925. This refers to the number of people who can access the Internet somehow; not all of them do it daily.
- Conclusion : There are about 18.4 billion non-human entities using the Internet every day.
I know, I know – the huge discrepancy is caused by nothing else than spam. But I believe we can agree that spammers are not human 😉 And it makes for an interesting mathematical excercise anyway.
interesting point of view! I never thought that way!